Setup and Operation of your PMO
Most growing companies wait until after their early “growth spurts” to develop rigorous project and program management functions. While this is a normal part of growth, the value of a good “Program Management Office” or PMO quickly becomes apparent. A solid PMO gives you visibility, predictability, and some semblance of rational order. With a PMO, you can answer these questions:
- Where is the money going that is spent on IT?
- Are we spending money on strategic needs or just putting out fires?
- What is the return on our investment?
- Do we have a plan for how we will achieve our desired goals with the money we are spending?
- Can we stop ourselves from doing “dumb” things so that we can focus on “important” things?
- Are we hiring the right vendors? How do we hire better ones?
- Are we negotiating from a position of strength?
Vanguard EA helps companies set up their PMO practices and procedures, and to create a group or committee that discusses the projects that are proposed, putting them into perspective and getting a sequence set up to roll through the changes.
Having a PMO helps to address the challenges of a quickly growing company, while controlling the costs of IT and the projects within IT. Let Vanguard EA help you to set up your Program Management Office. Our services include:
- Review of your current project proposal process (the pipeline)
- Creation of a clear and actionable process for validating and starting projects
- Assistance with determining appropriate staffing levels and the process by which they can start and become trained
- Mentoring for PMO staff to help them get rolling
- Development of a rationalized roadmap and the process by which it will be used
- Assistance with developing project level accounting practices so that the costs of IT can be connected with value provided
- Operating the PMO (in mid-sized companies, this is a full time job. In larger companies, this may require many people)